Friday, August 6, 2010

Dish restaurant at the Royal Palm Hotel, Gateway Durban

Eat out magazine says: ""Classic Elegance"
Cuisine: Contemporary

Last night I went out for a friends birthday dinner/ Oudemeester premium Brand tasting evening. We arrived and I ordered a double Oudemeester with tonic water. Not bad but definitely not my drink of choice.


The restaurant is stunning. It is a certain type of dining which I've seen before at Jam restaurant as well, the modern, chic, elegant dining experience. The decor was lovely and I appreciated the fact that the main bar was at the front of the restaurant by the entrance practically in the middle of the room. It was definitely a point of focus and all tables kind of set around the bar. We were a table of four near the kitchen. I secretly loved the fact that I was facing away from the kitchen but there was a huge mirror allowing me to see into the kitchen. Nothing better than watching chef's in their element!


The menu has a variety, starters, meat dishes, fish dishes, chicken dishes, curries. The commonality was that everything sounded delicious and simple. Not too many flavours on one plate which is something I look for in a good restaurant. The dishes range from about R80 - R120 of course with prawns as SQ.
I ordered the lamb chops which is not something I would usually order but I was feeling adventurous. I must say I expected the typical lamb chop and mint sauce but these lamb chops had a sweet-ish marinade which made it different. The four lamb chops were of course made to perfection and served on a bed of mash potatoes, which were nothing to write home about and lacking flavour. There were also bowls of roasted vegetable for the table to share drenched in oil and garlic... naughty but delicious!


My boyfriend had the rump steak, medium, which came on a skewer filled with moderate sized steaks and I must say I was a bit worried when I saw nothing but meat on the plate but this was delicious! Also similar sweet marinade used different from the lamb chops but equally good. He had a side plate of crisp french fries which were also perfectly cooked. In my opinion his order was the best at the table!


My friend ate the chicken and prawn tomato curry which I was not as impressed with. The sauce was exactly that tomato and I didn't get where the curry came in. The prawns were a bit on the dry side and I don't get why you'd completely de-shell prawns you're putting in a curry. The most delicious (and entertaining) part of it is de-shelling and sucking the curry off the shell!

The only one to have dessert was my boyfriend who ordered a creme brulee! Same as he ordered the night before at Czar. The two were very different, the brulee was slightly on the burnt side but the cream inside deliciously flavoured!

What I also loved about the restaurant was the lovely courtyard with couches outside where we could finish off our drinks. Great service, great people, great food! Can't wait to stay at the hotel and try their breakfast too!

No comments:

Post a Comment